AP Test: Why Take It?

Safyre Yearling, Editor-in-Chief

In the 2016-2017 school year at Alliance High School, three advanced placement (AP) courses were offered: AP Language and Composition 11 and Literature and Composition 12, and junior year AP American History. 30 students were enrolled in junior AP English, 10 of which took the AP exam, while 13 students were enrolled in AP American History, with five who took the exam. Overall, seven test takers out of 15 received college credit: 2 in American History and 5 in English. However, despite these promising odds, several students enroll in Advanced Placement courses with no intention of taking the exam.

The CollegeBoard AP Test is an exam taken each May by advanced placement students all across the country. This standardized test is designed to measure how well the test taker has absorbed the content of the AP course taken that year. Most of the exams last about three hours and consist of multiple choice and free response questions. The total score of the multiple choice section is based on the number of questions answered correctly, meaning any incorrect answers are not counted against the overall score. Depending on the exam, the free response portion will be written in the form of an essay. The way the exams are graded varies from test to test.

These tests are typically taken by junior and seniors in high school. The 2018 English test will be held on May 9, and the United States History test on May 11. From there, test results will be received by the student and the college(s) of their choice sometime in July.

The AP test is extremely beneficial to students. With a high enough score, students are able to gain college credit in the area they tested. The test is scored on a scale of one to five. A score of one is labeled as “no recommendation” and a score of five is “extremely well qualified”. The desired score varies university to university; however, most colleges will reward credit to students with an overall score of 3 and higher.

There are several things that influence students to not take the exam. One reason may be how hard the test actually is. The level of difficulty exceeds that of almost any other standardized test; however, teachers instructed in teaching advanced placement courses spend countless class periods doing the best they can to prep their students for this exam. Another reason may be the cost of the exam. The 2018 test registration fee is 94 dollars. The student pays the fee to take the test, with the possibility of one semester of English being waived. With the right score, students have the potential to save hundreds of dollars. If a college charges 150 dollars a credit hour and the average English Composition I class is 450 dollars, paying 94 dollars does not seem like that much.

The thought of the exam completely changes several students minds, when they register for classes at the end of the year. This is one of the biggest reasons students choose to enroll in general English and History classes over advanced placement. On the other hand, some students feel general English or History will not challenge them, so they enroll in AP, with no intention of taking the exam that comes with it.

This year, Alliance High School does not offer AP History, leaving AP English the lone section of advanced placement. Junior AP English is taught by Ms. Roxie Smith and Senior AP English is taught by Mrs. Tera Digmann.

I think some students like the challenge of the curriculum.  I think others are on the college track and know that enhancing their reading and writing skills are important for college-level curriculums. We go at a much faster pace with reading selections and writings than a regular class does and students have to keep up with the pace,” stated Ms. Smith.

Advanced Placement courses may come off as a lot of work and that is the truth. AP courses are rigorous and require students to step out of their comfort zone. These classes teach students critical thinking, time management and responsibility. Whether or not students decide to take the AP exam, they will come out feeling better prepared for college. The tests are more than just college credit. The score received on the test will help students see how well prepared they are for college-level courses.

For more competitive test takers, those who take the tests are almost competing with other students across the nation to see how their scores compare. Even if they are not rewarded credit, scoring better than the smartest kid in class offers quite the confidence booster. The best way to conclude is through a quote from Ms. Smith “We have had some great success on these tests over the years and I hope that more and more students challenge themselves and take these (exams).”