• SENIORS!! Turn in a quote, baby picture, and senior picture to Safyre Yearling!

• Great job this season, volleyball girls!

• Seniors! Log onto Naviance to view all available scholarships!

A Night to Honor Students

Shannon Lawrence

Shannon Lawrence

Aubrie Lawrence, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Alliance High School held their annual Honors Convocation. This ceremony is to celebrate the academic achievements of the students at AHS.

The night started with a short welcome from the principle of Alliance High School, Mr. George Clear. He then announced the student that would be going to the 2017 Nebraska Leadership Seminar. The reciprocant was Zack Young, a sophomore here at AHS, then he awarded Shelbi Mills the  Hugh the O’Brian Youth Leadership award, which gives her the opportunity to travel to a leadership retreat. The final award that Clear gave that night was the Perfect Attendance award. This was a very special occasion due as reciprocant, Alliance senior Caleb Neilson, had never missed a day of school in his 13 years of public schooling. He received a plaque and a standing ovation to reward him on all of his hard work.

The TeamMates award, given by Beth Trennepohl, was given to three worthy senior Mentees. Rhette Lewis, Jacob Krause, and Jake McCaffrey each received a 250 dollar scholarship for their participation in TeamMates over the last eight years.

The DEB Hands Contest was one that many of the Alliance High School art students participated in. The winner of the national award, Magi Hoff received 200 dollars, and the chance to have her design on new hand sanitizer dispensers in the high school.

Mr. Clear then presented the Academic Letters for each grade. Freshman are not able to  receive letters. The seniors received their third year letters. Some of the letters winners include: Peyton Stoike, Emily Green, Sophia Sanchez, and Sariah Grant. The juniors received their two year letters. Some of the winners include: Lane Applegarth and Cameron Collins. The last of the letter winners were the sophomores. This is the first academic letter that they have received. Some winners are: Diana Acosta, Rachel Baker, Jensen Curtiss, and Keaton Cottrell.

There were several awards in between the lettering awards and the Quill and Scroll awards, such as Foreign Language, Agriculture, Family and Consumer Sciences, and the Academic Decathlon Award. The Quill and Scroll award is given to Journalism and Annual students that have met the requirements needed. The journalism reciprocants were: sophomores: Aubrie Lawrence and Oryanna Trout, juniors: Autumn Hoff, Sharia Williamson and Safyre Yearling, seniors: Peyton Stoike and Sophia Sanchez. The Quill and Scroll Annual award was given to seniors: Hannah Korte, and Carson Hadden and sophomores: Alivia Carlson and Madison Gibson.

The CSC Scholastic Contest was given to both juniors and seniors who placed in the top 25%. The senior, Jake Herian, received a year’s worth of tuition to Chadron State College for placing first in Wildlife Ecology and Management.

The night ended with some closing remarks from Mr. Clear. He congratulated everyone who had received an award and thanked the parents for supporting the students in their academic achievements.