Cheerleading Tryouts 2017

Safyre Yearling, Junior Website Editor

Springtime means several things for Alliance High School students. Track season is just beginning, senioritis is kicking in, and anticipation for the end of the school year is at an all time high. However, we aren’t done yet. For some, it is just getting started.

From March 27 to April 3, girls from eighth through eleventh grade are competing to earn a spot on the Alliance High School 2017/2018 cheerleading squad. Last year’s team has set extremely high standards for potential team members; however, the gym remains full of lively spirits and the girls are still having fun with the process.

“My first two years of tryouts were a little nerve-wracking, but I have become very comfortable and confident with myself over the years, so this year, I am not as worried.” said Alliance High School Junior, and second year cheerleader, Serenity Sterkel.

Girls are required to learn several things, including the fundamentals of the sport, the proper jump technique, two sideline cheers and one band dance. On Monday, April 3, the girls will perform their jump of choice, their toe touch, the two cheers and the dance that were taught, in front of a group of judges, who will then tally up their points and decide who will make the squad. Girls are rewarded points based on their execution of all aspects of the process.

Sterkel went on to leave the girls with small words of encouragement stating, “Never ever give up! If you really want something, you have to work at it! You have to practice the things that you struggle with! Number one thing: always be confident in yourself.”

Congratulations to the 2017/2018 Cheerleading Squad!

Seniors: Angela Figueroa, Haley Hoxworth, Serenity Sterkel, Cherokee Purviance, Mariah Stewart, Shae Toof, and Safyre Yearling

Juniors: Jayci Dvorak, Madilyn Garza, Madison Gibson, Emme Grant, Liz Johnson, Katelyn Nunes, and Elise Stoike.

Sophomores: Payton Gomez, Kyah Kimmel, Maycee Quick, and Brionna Schafer.