Student Council Fiasco

The+winners+of+the+annual+Homecoming+games.+This+is+one+of+just+many+activities+that+Student+Council+plans+throughout+the+year.+

Brian Gould

The winners of the annual Homecoming games. This is one of just many activities that Student Council plans throughout the year.

Brian Gould, Editor-In-Chief

As I walk around the halls of Alliance high school, numerous times throughout the week I am pulled to the side, and proposed some idea and whether or not student council could make it happen. I love hearing suggestions for various project, that we could bring to the school, but what I am here to address today is the fact that a lot of the time, when these projects don’t pan out to the way the students want, it isn’t because student council dropped the ball. There are times that Student council is at fault, and when those events happen, we do our best to solve the problem

There have been countless times throughout my terms as Student Council President, (my junior and senior year) where something that did not work out as expected and blame was put on Student council. It is these times where I feel like snapping and explaining the chain that ideas must go through, and all of the people that events take to put together. It is truly vastly more complex than some students think, and maybe if they were more informed, they wouldn’t be so quick to jump on their fellow students the second that something doesn’t go their way.

When an idea is proposed to either me or to another member of student council, the first step that must be taken is to be proposed at a meeting. These meetings are held roughly every other week during lunchtime. Many of the kids involved in student council are in numerous activities so finding time for meetings is difficult, but we try to make it work. After the project is proposed at the meeting the idea is usually up for debate. This can range from total support to various concerns about the project. This is just the student members that talk for this phase. The next step is where the Student council sponsors; Roxy Smith (11 grade English teacher) and Amy Varner (Secretary) voice their opinion as well as a way that we could get the ball rolling. If we think that it would be a good idea, we then work out a plan, a date for the project or event, and the time. After this, usually I, or another officer will make a note to talk to Principal Mr. Clear.

This next step, the step I like to call the real approval is where I, or another officer of Student Council will find time to talk to Mr. Clear. An appointment usually has to be made, as he is usually very busy. Once we sit down and talk with him, the ideas are almost always approved. Sometimes this is the end, we have the go ahead so we meet at the next meeting and get the fundraiser, project, or event going. But with more complicated events, like the homecoming games, the process is just beginning. If the event requires the whole school, then the superintendent, Dr. Troy Unzicker, must approve the idea. Usually the time we are given is limited, and we have to make do with what we have.

This is the jest of the steps, and I am writing this to explain that when things go wrong, the blame should not necessarily fall on student council. The homecoming dance for example, which is still a hotly debated subject. Students were quick to point out that student council should have “warned them” that the dance would be stricter or that “we knew what was coming.” The truth is, these unforeseen events that happen have no blame on the kids that are out there making sure that high school is a wonderful experience for students.

I do enjoy being President of student council, and I realize that some of the things that happen around the school are frustrating, but don’t think for a second that student council isn’t trying to make things as great as they can. Maybe next time students will stop and realize how much work goes into these projects. It doesn’t bother me when people criticize my work; I like to be able to improve. But when an organization that I am involved in is blamed, not criticized, I will not hesitate to correct the outspoken individuals.