The Two Sides of Trump’s Wall

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Two Sides of Trump’s Wall

Jessyca Garza, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






The Trump wall or often referred to as “The Wall,” is a barrier between the United States and Mexico. The purpose of Trump’s wall is to cut back on illegal immigration, human trafficking, and smuggling. Trump’s wall was introduced in October 2018, along with the Enforce the Law Act of 2018 that was signed October 12, 2018.  But there is a lot of controversy about this wall and why it should or should not be built. In a poll 60 percent of Americans are against Trump’s border wall, while the rest of the 40 percent believe Trump should put up the wall. 

There’s two sides of the Trump wall debate, the first side is the supporters that believe that the wall should be built. This side, are those that primarily support President Trump and what he does for America. This side believes that there is a lot of illegal activities happening in the U.S. They believe most of these illegal activities are due to the illegal people that cross over the border without the correct information to do so. President Trump said “Illegal aliens will no longer get a free pass into our country by lodging meritless claims in seeking asylum, Instead migrants seeking asylum will have to present themselves lawfully at a port of entry.” But, when asked the question “Why do you support the trump wall?” one trump supporter said, “It’s like, if you had a kennel, with dogs, I’m not saying that we’re all dogs or anything like that but, are we going to let them all run into the field?” Other people said, “But there are good people too, so we also have to make sure we are cracking down on the bad rather than on the good.” 

The other side is the side that believes that the wall should not be built. They believe that the money going into the wall can be used for so much better in America. To build the wall, approximately 8 billion dollars will be spent. Experts expect the price to be even higher with billions of dollars already being spent to extend border patrol and technology. On February 18, 2019, a protest took place on the steps of Los Angeles City Hall going against the Trump wall. Anti-wall protesters are mostly immigrants that believe that the people that cross over the border illegally come to America for good, and not bad. They come for work, and to better their lives.