• Come support the boys basketball team as they take on St. Thomas Moore this Friday at 3:30 pm!

• Seniors!!! Send your senior and baby pictures to Madison Gibson or Mrs. Brock by April for the yearbook!

• WNCC spring registration is now open.

• Any girl interested in going out for tennis, there will be a meeting in the art room after school on December 13.

• Come support the girls basketball team as they take on St. Thomas Moore this Thursday at 3:30 pm!

Farewell to the 41st President

Farewell to the 41st President

Maycee Quick, Staff Writer

George H. W. Bush was known for his popularity among the American people and non partisan alignment. He was the 41st president as well as a World War II veteran. He had many odd experiences. One of the most memorable stories from his service during World War II was when he was a pilot flying over the island of Chi Chi Jima. His plane was shot down by the Japanese. As the plane fell to the Pacific Ocean, some of the soldiers who jumped out were never seen again. Luckily, Bush was able to survive in the water and was later saved by a U.S. submarine. Stories like these make his legacy all the more memorable.

George H. W. Bush was inaugurated into presidency on the 20th of January, 1929. Just 11 months later, the Berlin Wall fell. This marked the end of communist rule in Europe.

Bush endorsed many laws during his presidency. In 1989 he endorsed the new Anti-Drug Law, which rose anti-drug awareness in education and expanded treatment centers. In 1990 Bush signed the Americans with Disabilities Act. This act forbids discrimination among people with disabilities. He also signed the Clean Air Act, which put a limit on the rate of pollution released into the air. In addition he signed acts like the Civil Rights Act and the Immigration Act. All of these laws show the lasting effects of Bush’s presidency.

Also in 1990, Bush ordered American troops to Iraq after Iraq invaded Kuwait. Iraq was to leave Kuwait or be removed by January 16, 1991. When Iraq failed to leave, Bush ordered Operation Desert Storm and sent his troops to attack Iraq the morning of January 17, 1991.

When a president dies, his body is placed in the United States Capitol Rotunda, so people can come and mourn him. This is followed by a state funeral in Washington. It has been 12 years since the last president passed. Gerald Ford, the 38th president, passed in 2006. George H. W. Bush passed away Friday night, November 30, 2018.

Maycee Quick, Staff Writer

Hello, I am Maycee! I am a junior at Alliance High School, and this is my first year writing for the Spud! I am the daughter of Tara and Deon Quick. I...