• The Alliance Track Invite is Tuesday, April 16 at 10:30.

• See Ms. Garwood if you are interested in applying for the health cadet program!

• Key Club thanks you for your participation in the recent blood drive and saving lives

• This month's book to movie selection is The Hate U Give. Group discussions will start the week of April 8

What is “Juuling?”

What is “Juuling?”

Thalia Gonzalez, Junior Editor

People are constantly finding new and better habits that are considered “healthier” alternatives to smoking cigarettes. One of the newest alternatives to smoking is the Juul, a new e-cigarette that resembles the looks of a USB flash drive. It seems that Juuling is more socially acceptable and even considered to be “cool” among teens.

The Juul was invented in July of 2017, it was meant to be a true alternative to combustible tobacco products. It was created and thought of by avid smokers because they were dissatisfied with the health and social impacts of cigarettes. The founders of this product knew that people trying to get away from smoking cigarettes would want something that did not mimic the looks of a cigarette, so the result was: the Juul.

With the Juul you also get the choice of eight different flavors. These flavors include Mango, Cool Mint, and Creme Brulee. The flavor juices come in little pods that click right into your Juul. These pods can also deliver as much nicotine as up to two packs of cigarettes. Four pods come in each package, costing around $17, compared to the overall price of a Juul starting at around $50.

This new product has started to reach younger people, and even kids in high school have taken up juuling. Most of these high schoolers and adults are juuling without even knowing the health risks. Most e-cigarettes contain nicotine (some do not), which is an addictive substance that can negatively impact adolescent brain development. Side effects can include: increased heart rate and blood sugar, lung disease, chronic bronchitis, and insulin resistance leading to type 2 diabetes.

When I asked the students of AHS if they had ever juuled before, 31% had answered yes.

The Juul was invented to be a healthier alternative from tobacco, but it may have only brought us another dangerous thing to focus on. Although this product may be helping others, it is getting to young teens who never would have thought of smoking a cigarette. And with the nicotine, addiction is a huge possibility.

Thalia Gonzalez, Junior Editor

Hey guys! I’m Thalia Gonzalez. This is my second year writing for the SPUD and my first year as Junior Editor! I am the only child of Tony Gonzalez,...