• The first Key Club meeting will be September 20 in the Library. Food will be provided.

• Seniors!! Turn in your class motto, colors, song, and T-Shirt design to Mrs. Digmann or Mrs. Hiemstra by October 1

• Welcome back AHS students!

A Latte Pumpkin Spice

Photo from Business Insider

Photo from Business Insider

Autumn Hoff, Editor-in-Chief

One of the first things that comes to the minds of many when the word “fall” is mentioned is pumpkin spice. Pumpkin spice is really a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves, the traditional seasonings used in a pumpkin pie, so really it should be “pumpkin pie spice”, but for marketing reasons, it got shortened to just “pumpkin spice”, which rolls off the tongue better.

The spice tastes nothing like pumpkins, which may throw off someone who has only heard of it, because being “pumpkin spice”, it is automatically associated with pumpkins. It usually has a stronger cinnamony sort of flavor to it.

In 2003, Starbucks introduced its seasonal pumpkin spice latte, which is known to many as the first pumpkin spice product. However, the spice itself was around long before that. It has been used in pumpkin pies for hundreds of years, among other recipes.

Since then, the popularity of the latte, and the spice itself seems to have increased to an all time high. Pumpkin spice has taken over the fall season, it may as well be named pumpkin spice at this point.

Walking the aisles of any grocery store, once can find at least three displays of something dedicated to the pumpkin spice flavoring. In our local Safeway, pumpkin spice Cheerios, Oatmeal, and muffins can easily be spotted while doing simple grocery shopping.

The real question is: why is such a simple spice so popular? Cinnamon is a common spice to come across, as well as the other ingredients put into pumpkin spice.

Maybe people find the appeal in the warm and cozy thought of pumpkin pie that it brings to mind. Pumpkin pie is usually served as a thanksgiving dessert, a time when family traditionally gathers for a big turkey dinner, which is usually surrounded by a few days of warm, inviting family gatherings.

Maybe people took a liking to it simply because the media made it into a big deal out of it, bringing in all of those people who simply follow trends.

What do you think of pumpkin spice? 

What do you think of Pumpkin Spice?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...