(UPDATED) Alpine High School Shooting

Sharia Williamson, Staff Writer

About 200 miles from El Paso, Texas, in a small community of only about 6,500 people, tragedy struck.

On the morning of Thursday, September 8, Alpine High School of Western Texas was taken by surprise when two alleged shooters opened fire in the band hallway. Police were quick to respond to the call, and quickly located the first known victim of the shooting.

As of Thursday, September 8, 10:35 a.m Mountain daylight time, there has not been much information released, but Brewtser County Attorney, Steve Houston, has said only one person has been pronounced dead. Two have been injured. No names have been released.

The entire school district was under lockdown and is currently in the process of evacuation as of 7:40 a.m Mountain daylight time.

One of the alleged shooters is described as female, while no other information is known on the the second possible suspect. There is no active shooter on site. Police are in process of finding the suspects or a possible motive of the shooting.

More updates will be posted as they are released to the public.

UPDATED: September 13, 2016 –

On September 8, it was reported that two additional students were injured.

Cade Belvins, a friend of one of the victims and a current student at Alpine High School, claimed the shooter did not know the victim. According to Belvins, when he went to visit his friend in the hospital, the victim told him that she walked into the bathroom to see the suspect and then attempted to flee when the shooter opened fire. The girl was treated for minor injuries.

Events took a fatal turn when the active shooter, a 14-year-old-freshman at Alpine High School, turned the gun on herself and ended her own life. The motive has yet to be discovered.

Later on, during the confusions of an emergency evacuation, a school marshal was accidentally shot by a responding police officer. The marshal was then airlifted from the site for treatment.

Only to make things more complicated and confusing, there were multiple unrelated phone threats. One was a bomb threat at a local hospital, while another claimed an active shooter at Sul Ross State University. These calls turned out to be false.