Mr. Wells

Mr. Wells

Katelyn Heisler, Staff Writer

Mr. Wells, in highschool, was probably known as the guy who was horrible at basketball. During his highschool sports he played football, ran track, and basketball, but in basketball he said he was so bad that the coaches didn’t let him play with the better players. They said he was “A little too aggressive.” However, they thought he’d be good at wrestling and took him to the wrestling room, and before you knew it, he fell in love with it. He never had much of a plan for his future, mainly because he was mostly told by all his counselors, from high school to college, that he had time, that if he had a college degree he’ll be fine, and “It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.” He went to Doane College for four years, graduated and moved back to Alliance that summer, first. Since he had no plans, his mother suggested that he go get his teaching endorsement, as a backup, and he did, in a year, at University of Nebraska Kearney! As he took teaching classes, spent time with students, and got into coaching, he realized he really enjoyed it. His favorite thing about his job is watching the young people grow, “By the beginning of the year they are one way, a blank canvas, and by the end of the year, semester, by the end of the season, you’ve taught them all this stuff and now they’re a full canvas.” His biggest fear is witnessing a kid have a major medical reaction in his classroom. That’s why he takes training every year/other year so then he’ll be prepared. It doesn’t matter what Mr.Wells was bad at, in highschool, because now everyone knows him as one of the most caring and outstanding history teachers around.