Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Tatum Bossell, Staff Writer

April is known as spreading awareness for Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Sexual assault has been a huge problem all around the world. One out of every five American women has spoken up that they have been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime. And about 3% of American men have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime. The month for sexual assault aims awareness and prevention to increase awareness of the causes and risks due to sexual assault.
In 2001, the united states community presented the first official Sexual Assault Awareness Month. It has brought the issue forward and it has led to many events and campaigns to support the women and men that had or are currently experiencing sexual assault.
On April 14, 2022, at aproximently 11:30A.M., the Scottsbluff Nebraska High School students walked out of class for a protest. The students were protesting to speak up and spread as much awareness in the community about sexual assault. There were approximately 200 students standing outside to spread this awareness. Many students held signs to speak their opinion on sexual assault. Some of the sign sayings include; “Blame the system not the victim,” “You are not alone,” “Hear our voice, our voice has power,” and “Believe the victims.”
These students and many other people have made a huge impact with protesting against sexual assault. Sexual assault is a very dangerous problem all around the world and can be lowered with awareness. There have been over hundreds of protests in 2022 already. Protesting can help make people speak out about their stories.
There have only been 34.8% of sexual assault cases reported to the authorities. To get the help you can always contact the Alliance High School counselor. The counselors include Mr. Lanik who can be reached at [email protected] and Mrs. Willard who can be reached at [email protected]. You can also let the police know or call the sexual assault hotline at 1-800-656-4673.

Cites:
https://www.nsvrc.org/saam