Veteran’s Day Program 2018

Da'Nautica Thomas, Staff Writer

Every year, on November 11, Veteran’s Day is observed to commemorate those who served in the military. We celebrate this day for those who have served, and to recognize those who sacrificed their lives to make our country the land of the free.

Alliance High School puts on an annual program for the Veterans to recognize this “holiday” and raise awareness among their students. The program began with the posting of the colors which was done by the American Legion. After that, the AHS small brass ensemble performed the National Anthem. Then principal, Mr. George Clear, introduced all of the Veterans by the eras in which they served.
There were a number of wars and various Veterans that fought in each that were present at the program. Later, Madison Gibson read the History of Veteran’s Day, informing the audience on why we celebrate it and how it started.

Mr. Michael Baker introduced the first speaker, Keegan Kaiser. Mr. Kaiser talked about his training in the Marine Corps and what units he was in, as well as about the different places he went and the challenges he went through.

After the first speaker, the High School’s Harmonics choir performed “God Bless the USA,” arranged by Don Mcafee.

The second speaker was Camy Joule, who is a physician in the United States Air Force. After the speech, she was asked questions about her achievements and what its like in the Air Force.

The program ended with a compilation video, honoring those who fought for our freedom. The video was showing soldiers coming home to their families, and to show how thankful we are.

As the students filed out of the PAC, the program left a reminder of just how important Veterans are, and why it is important to thank them for all the sacrifices they have made.