The Original Easter

Katelyn Heisler, Staff Writer

Easter Break is coming up quickly! That means a four day weekend for Alliance High School! This Sunday, April 9, 2023, families around the world will gather for their Christian holiday meal and as a time to spend with each other. The most common, more knowledgeable version of Easter is of course known as the celebration of Jesus’s resurrection. However, did you know that before Christianity existed, Easter was already celebrated? I’m here to give you a little bit of a history lesson. This is so you’re aware of not only the original meaning of Easter, but also to gather a better understanding of a religion that is often criticized for its beliefs.

Easter had begun as a pagan festival celebrating spring in the Northern Hemisphere. This was long before the advent of Christianity. Now, you may be wondering what Paganism exactly is? It’s a term that was originally used in the fourth century by early Christians for people in the Roman Empire who practiced polytheism, or ethnic religions other than Judaism. Pagans often believe that nature is sacred and that the natural cycles of birth, growth, and death that are observed in the world around us carry great spiritual meanings. The pagan version of Easter is the celebration of the spring equinox. Please note, pagans also celebrate winter solstice, but for Christians, it is known as Christmas. I believe that Paganism has always been looked down upon. In 392 CE, Emperor Theodosius had outlawed paganism in all connected rituals. In 341 AD, Constantine banned Paganism as idolatry and superstition. To really conclude this article, I would like to state that many people have different beliefs, different religions, and different mindsets. Majority of the time it is based on their culture, something very important to their lives. So, I say this, please do not discriminate, criticize, or try to ban one’s religions, because that is a big part of who someone is.