Self Esteem: Believing in Yourself

Sharia Williamson, Staff Writer

Being a high school student is a difficult task for every teen. It has been that way from the time our parents were in school; as a current high school student, I can confirm that high school will never stop being so demanding.

To get through high school and to get into a good college, you need to be able to keep up on assignments, maintain your grades, and find a group of friends that will be there for you on your best and worst days. These are all the things every high school student strives for to “fit in”, but there is one important factor that most students seem to lack to fully succeed in high school and that is self esteem. Self esteem is a hard thing to gain, it always has been. Having self esteem is knowing your worth and meeting, if not exceeding, your full potential. I question myself on a daily basis. If I take a different route to my next class, I question myself. If I run into someone on accident in the hallway, I question myself. If I go out in public wearing the baggiest sweatpants and biggest shirt in my closet, I question myself. If I turn an assignment in, I question myself. Why am I like this? Did I make the right decision? What if I did it wrong? What will others think about me? Am I worth it? These are questions that run through my mind on a daily basis and it makes me lack a high self esteem.

Teenagers are known to have the biggest issues with having a good self esteem, but we are not the only age group that struggles with having confidence. Adults struggle just as much as teenagers when it comes to self esteem. Adults don’t go to school, but to work, and instead of teachers and students, they have their bosses and co-workers.

This brings us to the conclusion that no matter where you are or who you are, there is always someone who is breathing down your neck doubting your abilities.

In such a judgmental world, there is no doubt that everybody lacks some confidence. Feeling worthless or having little respect for yourself can lead to depression and when you refuse to believe in yourself and fight for you actions, others will use that as a way to step all over you.

It is important for not only students, but adults and even children to take pride in themselves. To gain self esteem allows you to be proud of yourself and all of your accomplishments. You have to respect yourself and have pride in everything you do no matter how small. If you want to wear a scrunchie with lime green crocs go for it, but make sure you flaunt them so everyone can see. If you have a big test coming up, make sure to study and go into the session with your shoulders back and head held high showing that you believe you will ace it. If you get a B on an assignment, aim for a higher grade on the next one. Exceed your potential. Go on to be a surgeon, or a lawyer, a teacher, open your own business or just be proud enough to treat others with as much dignity and respect you want to be treated with. Don’t let others tear you down for who you are and do not allow yourself to doubt your own abilities.