• There will be a mandatory Girls tennis meeting Thursday the 21st right after school.

• Boys district basketball game tonight against Scottsbluff at 6:30. The theme is whiteout!

• Sophomores and Juniors!! Check your email for a message from Mr.Lanik about a leadership opportunity.

• Seniors!! Log into jostens to order your cap and gown

• Seniors!!! Send your senior and baby pictures to Mrs. Brock by April 1!

2018 Fall Blood Drive

Da'Nautica Thomas, Staff Writer

On November 26-27, sixty-one students had the opportunity to donate blood for the fall Blood Drive. Students had three weeks to sign up with Mrs. Smith.

When students arrive at the time of their appointment, they are required to have a parent permission slip, a form of ID, and their FastTrack sheet with a barcode on it when they check in. Students only need parental permission if they are 16 to 17 years of age. The student then waits until one of the nurses call out their name. During this wait, the student can drink water and eat snacks to keep up their levels so they can give a good donation.

Given the chance to interview some donors, many were fine with talking about their experiences. Most of them said that they weren’t nervous about giving blood. They feel that they are helping someone in need. Some of these students, however, want to know when their blood has been used.

After the students give a certain amount of blood, they are given instructions on how to take care of themselves. If a student doesn’t feel well, they have to tell one of the nurses so the student can get help. Depending on the student, recovery time may be different for each person.

Key Club played a big part in providing the snacks and water for those who donated. They also helped with checking in donors. In the end, students who donated got free t-shirts to show that they donated. Mrs. Smith, Key Club advisor, stated,” I am so proud of the students that stepped forth to give of themselves to save another person’s life. We have amazing students at AHS that want to do good and be good. We are blessed.” If you want to donate or didn’t get the chance to donate this year, there is another blood drive in the spring of 2019.

Da'Nautica Thomas, Staff Writer

Hey, my name is Da'Nautica Thomas. I’m 16 years old. I’m a Junior at AHS. This is my first year of writing for the SPUD. I hope to get better as a...