• Come support the boys basketball team as they take on St. Thomas Moore this Friday at 3:30 pm!

• Seniors!!! Send your senior and baby pictures to Madison Gibson or Mrs. Brock by April for the yearbook!

• WNCC spring registration is now open.

• Any girl interested in going out for tennis, there will be a meeting in the art room after school on December 13.

• Come support the girls basketball team as they take on St. Thomas Moore this Thursday at 3:30 pm!

2018 Fall Blood Drive

Da'Nautica Thomas, Staff Writer

On November 26-27, sixty-one students had the opportunity to donate blood for the fall Blood Drive. Students had three weeks to sign up with Mrs. Smith.

When students arrive at the time of their appointment, they are required to have a parent permission slip, a form of ID, and their FastTrack sheet with a barcode on it when they check in. Students only need parental permission if they are 16 to 17 years of age. The student then waits until one of the nurses call out their name. During this wait, the student can drink water and eat snacks to keep up their levels so they can give a good donation.

Given the chance to interview some donors, many were fine with talking about their experiences. Most of them said that they weren’t nervous about giving blood. They feel that they are helping someone in need. Some of these students, however, want to know when their blood has been used.

After the students give a certain amount of blood, they are given instructions on how to take care of themselves. If a student doesn’t feel well, they have to tell one of the nurses so the student can get help. Depending on the student, recovery time may be different for each person.

Key Club played a big part in providing the snacks and water for those who donated. They also helped with checking in donors. In the end, students who donated got free t-shirts to show that they donated. Mrs. Smith, Key Club advisor, stated,” I am so proud of the students that stepped forth to give of themselves to save another person’s life. We have amazing students at AHS that want to do good and be good. We are blessed.” If you want to donate or didn’t get the chance to donate this year, there is another blood drive in the spring of 2019.

Da'Nautica Thomas, Staff Writer

Hey, my name is Da'Nautica Thomas. I’m 16 years old. I’m a Junior at AHS. This is my first year of writing for the SPUD. I hope to get better as a...