Spreading The Christmas Cheer

Oryanna Trout, Staff Writer

Christmas is coming and with it comes presents, decorations, family gatherings, and a feast to celebrate. Food drives and local donations also come with the holiday. We see them in our classrooms and outside of stores, asking for food, money, or clothes that we no longer need. I count myself very lucky for all that I have during Christmas time, but there are others who are less fortunate. Some do not have a bed to sleep in and a warm meal to eat every night, let alone a proper Christmas dinner, so let’s share with others. ’Tis the season, after all. In Alliance High School alone, there are chances to donate canned food in the classrooms, which are being sponsored by the Health Professions Club.

For every canned item that is brought to the library, a late book fee will be forgiven. There is also a Salvation Army money donation at our local Kmart and Grocery Kart for those who do not have canned foods to spare. Another opportunity to give this holiday season is the christmas tree at the Alliance Hardware Hanks. The store has suggestions for presents for the elderly staying in nursing homes.

When asked about donating, Health Professions Club member and AHS senior, Sophia Sanchez stated, “I really think it’s just a way to be selfless. We’re all so worried about our clothes and our shoes and how we look or how much money we have, while some people are struggling to eat and clothe themselves. We have so much excess that we take for granted and it’s good to donate to those who need it more than we do. It makes the giver feel good about helping, and the receiver feel good about knowing that there’s someone out there who cares.”

Let’s give back this holiday season because some people out there aren’t that lucky to have enough. Stay safe out there and have a Merry Christmas!