America’s College Promise

Anthony Hare, Staff Writer

Education. It’s something that differentiates the developed world from the underdeveloped world. Countries like Sweden, Norway, and many other top-notch countries are doing so well because of the high number of educated people within their country. A recent proposal by President Obama initiated the idea of a free two year community college education. I personally think that this is the best idea he has put forth during his time in office.

I’m sure the first thing people think of when they think of something being provided by the government is the tax dollars needed for it. That’s a very viable concern within the American people; logically it’s not going to be very much. The new plan is estimated to cost around $39 billion a year. By itself, yes, that is quite a bit of money for a country that is already so far in debt to spend, but considering our discretionary budget is $3.9 trillion a year, that is small potatoes.

I believe that many people are opposed to having their tax dollars going towards anything that would be free for anyone. That makes sense. It’s very unfair for your hard earned dollars to go towards anything other than yourself or your family. The fact of the matter is that no matter what, your tax dollars are going to go towards someone else some way or another, so wouldn’t you rather have your money going towards someone who is becoming a smarter and more capable member of society? That’s the way I see it. I’d rather have my hypothetical tax dollars go towards someone’s education rather than any sort of welfare.

Smarter people also tend to elect smarter people into their government. That is a huge plus. Smarter people have the mental capacity to elect someone based off of their potential as a candidate not just by voting according to party.

This initiative would affect approximately 9 million students a year. The criteria for maintaining this free education would be a good GPA and proof that they’re on track to graduate. Free community college would save the average student $3,800. That money would invariably be put back into our economy. That is yet another plus.

I can’t see a reason why something as great as the idea of free education wouldn’t pass through our Congress. Hopefully, after reading this you can agree with me too.