Nothing is Set in Stone

Morgan Johnston, Editor-In-Chief

Friday night as I was scrolling through my social media, I was overwhelmed with the hashtag “#PrayForParis.” The news stories were being retweeted and shared; the terrorist attacks filled me with fear and a hatred for the people that had the desire to take other’s lives. The whole situation got me thinking of war, peace, and the upcoming holiday, Thanksgiving. When people think of Thanksgiving, they think football, food, and family. Apart from the Fourth of July, it is the most American a holiday can get.

As my last year at Alliance High School is quickly coming to a close, I think about all the things I should be thankful for. The basic necessities of life, family, friends, and good health are the most obvious things one should be thankful for; however, after watching history repeat itself time and time again, we realize there is much more to be thankful for then the things that could easily be taken away. The feeling of security is turning into a dark cloud with threat hanging above our heads. Going out, living life, and traveling around are normal things that most people don’t have a second thought about. Yet, there are people who are terrified to leave their homes in the Middle East due to terrible people terrorizing them for their beliefs. This would actually pertain more to the freedom of religion, a right given to Americans through the Constitution. Some might say that is even being taken away from others, especially after hearing Donald Trump’s statement, “freedom of religion is only for Christians.”

The campaign for president is only going to make things messier. Even though Obama isn’t doing much and his goals while in office, including bringing troops home and trying to eliminate the threat of some Islamic States, are going down hill as his presidency is coming to an end. No one can predict what the new president will do for our country. Right now the world seems bleak, but nothing is definite. Be thankful for the roof over your head, the food in your belly, and the sense of safety you get while in your home. It could be taken away from you.

Hug your parents, siblings, and friends because life is short and you don’t know what will happen in the next year. The questions now are: what will happen in the next year? Will our government take charge and defend us, or will they wait too long only to see the start of the third World War?