Self-Satisfaction

Self-Satisfaction

Sharia Williamson, Senior Editor

Satisfaction is something that can be derived from the simplest of things. It is the pleasure of fulfillment coming from an expectation or one’s wishes. Granted, life is a roller coaster with many ups and downs, but it is important to be satisfied with yourself and your actions. One way to do that, is to look back on what you have achieved over your lifetime.
For a student, the list of achievements accomplished are limited compared to an adult; nevertheless, the feeling is something that never changes.
Some of theses achievements are mainly educational for high school students. During the holiday season, it can be hard to keep a strict homework schedule; however, doing all homework assigned for that week and getting it turned in early can give you a sense pride. Knowing that there isn’t a research paper or a reading assignment waiting for you at home can increase one’s overall mood and self satisfaction.
While some students live day by day, others are more focused on long term educational achievements, such as the ACT. Taking the ACT for the first time and getting a score you were not expecting is like the ultimate confidence boost. In a couple of months, you will be applying for colleges and scholarships. It is stressful, but knowing you have the score necessary to be granted that scholarship and that you earned it is amazing.
Outside of school, there are students cramming in as many hours at work as possible. It is tedious work and can often lead to exhaustion especially after attending school the same day. It can leave a student begging for a break, but after opening their next paycheck, it all pays off. Buying things with your own money instead of your parents’, gives you something to show for. When you pull up to school in a new car wearing your newest outfit, you prove you have something to your name. It gives a sense of completion knowing you are responsible and can provide for yourself.
It is pretty clear that around this time of year there are so many different things going on. It gets hard, but after dealing with all of the responsibilities and hardships, you feel indestructible and it’s like anything is possible. Those few peaceful seconds are the moments in life you will be able to reflect on in a couple of years. As Kahlil Gibran, a Lebanese writer, poet, and visual artist, stated, “To be able to look back on one’s life in satisfaction, is to live twice. Being able to say “I did that” and being proud of yourself, is the true definition of satisfaction.