Grouping Students Based On Ability

Planning+a+Master+Schedule+is+like+putting+pieces+of+a+puzzle+together.+

Planning a Master Schedule is like putting pieces of a puzzle together.

Madison Hiemstra, Editor-in-Chief

In school, there are always students who excel more than others. Whether it is in sports, fine arts, academics or clubs, there are always a few students who are said to exceed average, and they stand out. School districts around the nation, as well as our own, have been having debates about whether students should be separated according to ability. I met with Alliance High School Principal George Clear to discuss what Alliance plans to do in the future.

“Everything is situation, so there really is no answer.” Clear stated. Grouping students based on ability is not only being considered at the high school level, but in every level of schooling. “Grouping the kids who have higher skill levels and model them are often times helpful to those who struggle.”

As a student who has made the decision to take honors classes, I find that towards the end of high school, I am with the same 15 students eight classes a day. I do not see this as something the administration can control. If I choose to take classes that will push me to think and work harder, I have that opportunity, but for some students that is not something they wish to do. As students, that is a decision we have to make.

“I used to be strongly against grouping students separately until I taught AP last year. After seeing the drive and want to learn from some of the top tier students, I recognized the importance of grouping students separately. I’ve seen some students who get frustrated with others when they are a distraction to their learning so I am all for segregating students based on ability.” Stated Junior English teacher Ms. Roxie Smith.

The administration is attempting to find ways to help all of the students in the Alliance School District. From personal experience, I know it is hard for students who want to take numerous honors or dual credit courses. Unfortunately, due to the lack of resources in our school district, higher-level students have been forced to choose between higher education classes. I hope that one day, students will not be forced to make that decision.