FCCLA Shines at District STAR Competition

Shelbee Burke, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Wednesday, January 26, the Alliance Chapter of FCCLA traveled to Hemingford to compete in the District STAR Competition. There were 14 students competing, and each of the students who completed projects did an exceptional job. 

Every member who competed qualified for state, earning either a silver or gold medal. Alliance FCCLA Advisor Monique Elliott remarked, “Everyone did very well. The projects exceeded my expectations.” The state competition will be in April in Lincoln. Students will be competing here in the hopes of making it to the National Star Competition in San Diego, California. 

Students completed projects that have had a positive impact on the school and/or community. Elliott explained, “People who competed in STAR completed projects that were meaningful to them and I believe that’s why we were so successful. I look forward to competing at state leadership in Lincoln and I anticipate we will do very well.” She believes some projects have a chance at making it to nationals. Elliott noted, “We killed it.”

At this conference, District 12 FCCLA officers were chosen. Numerous students from the schools within District 12 competed, and two of our own Alliance Bulldogs were elected into office. Freshman Emily McCune and Sophomore Kalli Bridge will be serving as District Officers for the 2022-2023 school year. 

The Alliance Chapter of FCCLA did a phenomenal job at the District STAR competition and are excited to continue on to state. They will be able to make adjustments, add onto, and improve their projects prior to state using the critiques they received at Districts.The Spud wishes you the best of luck!

STAR Competition Results

Chapter Service Project Display: Taylee Thompson, Kealee Jelinek- Silver

Event Management: Ann Ryan, Kate Liu, Jordyn Yearling- Silver

Focus on Children: Valeria Carrillo, Marlene Garza Lopez- Silver

National Programs in Action: Emma Wood- Silver

Professional Presentation: Jonah Amill- Silver

Promote and Publicize FCCLA: Shelbee Burke, Mikayla Seebohm- Gold

Repurpose and Redesign: Annaka Digmann- Silver

Sports Nutrition: Kalli Bridge- Gold

Sustainability Challenge: Emily McCune- Silver