FFA Week

FFA+Week

Shelbee Burke, Staff Writer

The Alliance High School FFA chapter has found much success in various competitions this year. They recently competed at the district level against 18 different schools. There are a total of four district contests and the chapter has competed in three so far with the fourth being in March. State will follow in April in Lincoln, NE. 

The results were as follows:

Ag demonstration- Cord McBride and Wyatt Walker, District Champs and State Qualifiers; Madison Adam, Shelby Carr and Lauren Lehl, District Runner Up and State Qualifiers

Junior Public Speaking- Rasine Bolek, District Champ and State Qualifier; Julia Wilson, District Runner Up and State Qualifier 

Senior Public Speaking- Brionna Schafer, District Runner Up and State Qualifier 

Employment Skills- Shanna Jo Weaver, District Champion and State Qualifier

Ag Sales Team- Brionna Schafer, Macala Hood, Rasine Bolek and Paul Gilroy, District Champs 

Livestock Management- Wade Sanders, Wyatt Walker,  Ian Thompson, Delaney Childers and Lauren Lehl, District Runner Up

Welding- Shelby Carr,  Logan Thompson, Cord McBride and Elijah Walters, Third Place and 

State Qualifying

Ag Mechanics- Ian Thompson, Logan Thompson, Elijah Walters and Evan Schoeneman, Third Place and State Qualifying

Ag Mechanics (machinery)-Elijah Walters, District Champion 

Farm Business Management- Paul Gilroy, Brionna Schafer, Shanna Jo Weaver and Rasine Bolek, Fourth Place and State Qualifying 

Envirothon- Kaigan McBride, Cord McBride, Dezyrae Hausmann, Logan Leistritz and Keegan Grant, District Runner Ups 

Food Science- Lydia Hauger, Julia Wilson, Braelyn Shrewsbury and Peittyn Johnson, Sixth Place 

Veterinary Science- Wyatt Walker, Shelby Carr, Delaney Chiders and Karly Swanson, Sixth Place 

Floriculture- Dezyrae Hausmann, Kaigan McBride, Nikki Haller, Peittyn Johnson, Braelyn Shrewsbury and Karly Swanson, Eighth Place 

In addition to competitions, there are also projects that students work on outside of class and FFA: Supervised Agricultural Experiences. These experiences can be in entrepreneurship where students own livestock or land for farming or run a business, or they can be in placement were they work for someone else in an agriculture-related field.

The results are as followed:

Beef Production Placement- Emma Brownlow, Silver Rating; Paul Gilroy, Gold Rating and State Qualifying; Wade Sanders- Gold Rating and State Qualifying

Forage Production Placement- Cord McBride, Gold Rating and State Qualifying; Wyatt Walker, Gold Rating and State Qualifying

Goat Production Entrepreneurship- Shelby Carr; Gold Rating and State Qualifying

Outdoor Recreation Placement- Shelby Carr, Gold Rating and State Qualifying

Swine Production Entrepreneurship- Braelyn Shrewsbury, Gold Rating and State Qualifying 

This past week, February 24-28, was National FFA Week. This week helps to promote FFA in our community. The FFA chapter celebrated on Tuesday by making burritos for the teachers as a way to show appreciation for all they do. Last week, members served a meal at the Community Table as a way to give back to the community. Thursday was “Drive Your Tractor to School Day” and nine students participated driving a variety of different tractors. The parade of students arrived at school around 8:50 A.M. and parked in the old swimming pool parking lot next to the school for the day.

Wyatt Walker, an FFA member, explained, “We drove tractors to school because it was national FFA week and driving tractors to school was something fun to do.” He went on to say, “We wanted to raise awareness to the community about kids in agriculture.” 

Overall, the local chapter of FFA has found much success this year and we wish them the best of luck in their last district competition and at State!