Old West ChoirFest

Brielle Alwin, Staff Writer

On November 3, 2018, both the AMS and AHS choirs traveled to Scottsbluff, Nebraska for the 36th annual Old West ChoirFest. Dynamics performed in the morning with Velocity and Harmonics following later in the afternoon along with fifteen other schools. All schools were broken down into five different divisions: Jr. High/Elementary Division, Division 2-A, Division 3-A, Division 4-A, and Division 5-A.

The high school choirs have been attending Old West ChoirFest for almost twenty years now. It is a great opportunity for choirs to perform their shows and get critiqued by professional judges. Old West also shows many different choir types, like all women’s groups and also choirs from Colorado.

Dynamics performed This Is Me and A Million Dreams from The Greatest Showman with solos from Ariale Hindman, Annaka Digmann, Ben Cassatt-Reina and Zoe Bunnell. They also sang Get Back Up Again from Trolls with solos by Evan Hadden and Jenna Messersmith. Dynamics was awarded a silver rating during the award ceremony.

Harmonics presented The Defining Moment and Happiness with a solo from Stephen Reid. They also sang For Forever from Dear Evan Hansen with soloists Mareesa Buskirk, Tristan Bleisch, and Aubrey Garrett. They ended with Na Na Na with solos from Liz Johnson and Dante Lambrecht. Harmonics was awarded a silver rating at the end of the competition. This win finally broke their bronze rating streak.

Velocity performed Rise with a solo from Chloe Blumanthal, and Something Just Like This with a solo from Jazmin Burri. They also sang Your Song and Brand New. Velocity was awarded a bronze rating during the award ceremony.

While none of the Alliance choirs were invited back for the Best of the Fest night show, all the choirs did a fantastic job performing their shows and representing Alliance. Not only did Harmonics break their bronze rating streak, but they were also complimented on their kindness and good sportsmanship. All the choirs are excited for the 37th annual Old West ChoirFest and are eager to strengthen their shows as well as prepare for their next concert. We are so proud of our choir Bulldogs!