One Act Takes the Stage

Liz Johnston, Staff Writer

The One Act play has become somewhat of a legacy at Alliance High School, with 2 State Championships, and one state runner-up finish in the past 5 years. These One Act achievements have been one of the highlights of many activities at AHS.

Mrs. Green, an English teacher at Alliance High School, is also the director of the One Act play. Mrs. Green has been involved in the One Act at Alliance for nine years and has 13 years of experience; she has also had an extended background in theater before becoming a teacher.

The One Act choice this year is called “The Cards of Fate”, it is a dark comedy, which is portrayed through a game show setting. She chose this because it was timely and relevant. Mrs. Green is directing the One Act solo this year, she said that it will be challenging but she wants to rope in Mrs. Heidi to help with whatever she can do.

Every person that made an effort in the audition was casted, the cast includes make-up, lights , spotlight, and sound. There are 25 people casted, with a lot of people returning. The seniors in the production are Collin Cox, Christa Horn, Mary Weingart, Bethany Baker, Alexis Garret, Betsy Goodell, and Branson Stinnett who is on the lights crew.

Mrs. Green’s expectations for the one act this year is to have fun and to educate the kids on what it takes to have a good production, like teamwork and collaboration.

The lead roles are Trajan Garcia who was casted as Nick, the game show contestant, Collin Cox who is casted as Buddy the game show host and Christa Horn who is casted as Cinnamon also a game show host.

Peyton Stoike who is casted as Alice Walker, a women from Chicago stated “This is my first year doing One Act and I am very excited. I believe that this play will be a hit and will run smoothly under Mrs. Green’s direction.”

Don’t miss Alliance High School’s production of The Cards of Fate, on November 14th and 15th in the PAC at Alliance High School. The One Act cast and crew will also perform at districts on December 5th. If they win districts they will compete at state in Norfolk, Nebraska on December 12th.