Big Blue Barbecue Kicks Off New School Year

Brian Gould

The Big Blue Barbecue festivities started off the night before, with various sport scrimmages. (Pictured here from left to right) Cody Robinson, Cameron Nagaki, and Baden Shelmadine

Brian Gould, Editor-In-Chief

The 2014-2015 athletic season can officially start now, as the annual Big Blue Barbeque was held this past Saturday, August 23, 2014. Even though rain caused the event to end a little earlier than planned, all of the attendees enjoyed the various games and the food that was provided by the Booster Club.

Starting off the night before on Friday the 22, the volleyball team held a Gatorade scrimmage where the fee to get in was a bottle of Gatorade that the team will use throughout the season. After the volleyball scrimmage, the football team held a scrimmage, which was cut short, by rain. The next morning, boys tennis held a scrimmage. The cross-country team held and supported the annual Big Blue 5k Saturday morning. All of the scrimmages showed the large potential that each sport team has as they start their seasons.

Shae Toof paints a young boys arm at the basketball face painting stand.
Brian Gould

Each athletic team sponsored some sort of activity for kids and adults alike to enjoy. Boys basketball had a basketball hoop set up, volleyball held a cake walk, the boys tennis team had some ping pong tables set up while both the girls and boys golf teams had a longest drive competition at the practice field as well as a large net to chip into. The girls basketball team and the cheerleaders had face painting, the cross country team had a Frisbee toss, while the football had a ring set up that you could attempt to throw through.

The largest event of the day was the water balloon toss, where teams of two tossed a balloon back and forth and increased the distance until your balloon broke.

Students participate in the water balloon toss.
Brian Gould

The Big Blue Barbecue was a great way for parents and athletes to come together and celebrate the beginning of yet another exciting year of Alliance athletics. Go Bulldogs!