Basketball season is here!

McKenna Romick, Staff Writer

Last weekend was the start to the varsity boys and varsity girls basketball season. These first games were also the start to three-day varsity tournament called The Western Conference. Thursday night the Bulldogs played at home against Sidney. The girls and boys both lost; girls 38-48, boys 46-60, but they were still very fun, exciting games. On Friday, the tournament moved to the Scottsbluff High School gym where the girls beat Gering 47-43, putting them into the fifth and sixth place game. Later Friday night, the boys also beat Omaha Gross 45-37, also putting them into the fifth or sixth place game. Saturday morning both teams moved to the gym at Western Nebraska Community College in Scottsbluff. The girls played first against Mitchell and lost 19-48 putting them in sixth place. The boys played Scottsbluff right after losing 50-66, also placing sixth of eight teams.

“There will be obstacles, and we will make mistakes, but with hard work our team has no limits. We are a team, we are a family, we are one.”

— Marque Crowe

The season has started off with a lot of fight and potential for both girls and boys. The girls basketball team has a new head coach, Dave Sautter. Considering everything that happened last season the girls came out with a good start and showed lots of potential. The boys head coach is still Coach Trennopohl with his third year of coaching boys basketball. The boys are working hard, fighting during every second of the games, and are also showing lots of potential. The girls and boys have the same record as of right now 1-2.

Marque Crow a sophomore at Alliance High School, is currently the leading scorer on the girl’s basketball team. When asked about how she thinks the season is going, she responded, “There will be obstacles, and we will make mistakes, but with hard work our team has no limits. We are a team, we are a family, we are one.” Austin Luger, a 6’8 junior on the boys basketball team, who recently broke his foot, was very confident in his answer when asked how the season was going. “We are a very athletic group of boys and we have not only one, but five scorers. The season will go good with or without me.” Luger explained.