Headed to Substate

Morgan Johnston, Column Editor

Saturday, November 8 the Alliance High School Volleyball team will compete for a chance to qualify for the 2014 State Volleyball Championships. Alliance will be matching up with number 6 seed Gretna for their sub-state game. The Bulldogs came in close second in the B-8 district championship, hosted in Alliance this last Tuesday, leaving them 11th in state rankings for Class B. The team will be staying at Holiday Inn in Gretna. “We are very excited to play in the sub-state game to keep our season alive,” coach Angie Hiemstra says.

Not only will the team be departing for Gretna, but the Dawg Pound as well as the cheerleaders and other students will be bused to support our school and our girls. This opportunity wouldn’t have been possible without a local business person donating the travel expenses as well as the entry fee for all fifty students. SO to this amazing donor, ‘Thank you.’ Kellon Hall says that the only thing to describe this would be “Get on up.” The Dawg Pound has been amazing cheering on the team this year. “The Dawg Pound has been very supportive and we really appreciate them willing to make the long drive as we fight for our chance to go to state,” says the team’s libero, Maggie Otto.

The girls’ record is 19-13 as of now. The game will be an exciting event either filled with tears of joy or a heartbreaker for the team, especially the seniors. If the team wins they will be headed to state for a chance to capture the state title. If they lose their incredible season will unfortunately come to an end. Coach Hiemstra commented on the team “I am so proud of all of the players. Through their hard work and dedication, they have earned this opportunity to play to get in the state tournament.”

Follow The SPUD on Twitter @AHStheSpud for game updates! Good luck Lady Bulldogs, go get on the road to state!