Athletes Moving Forward

Maycee Quick, Editor

There are five senior boys from Alliance High School who are committed to play sports in college. These boys are Trevor Dubray, Collin Schrawyer, JJ Garza, Erik Folchert and Joel Baker. It is a big accomplishment to be continuing both their academic and athletic careers beyond high school. 

Dubray began playing baseball at the age of three. Since then, he has fallen in love with the game. Some awards he has earned during his career as a baseball player are Pitcher of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year and Catcher of the Year. He was the first to sign his letter of intent to play baseball at WNCC on December 17. He said, “[WNCC] has been watching me since I was 9 and I’ve become really close with the coaches there.” Last summer, Dubray, Schrwayer and Garza all helped lead the Spartans to second place in the state tournament, and they all plan on returning to the Spartans this summer. 

Schrawyer has been playing baseball for as long as he can remember, and he played on his first travel team at the age of just seven. He has verbally committed to play at Mount Marty in Yankton, South Dakota and plans on signing in March. He said the facilities, team and coaching staff led him in the direction to play there. He explained, “Yankton also reminded me of Alliance so this helped me make a decision.” 

Garza has been playing baseball since he was three-years-old in T-ball. Some awards he has received for baseball are All Conference Pitcher, Offensive Player and Infleider. He does not know when he will sign, but he is planning on playing for WNCC. He says, “It is close to family. It is a nice campus, and I have known the coaches since I was young.” 

Folchert has been playing football for ten years. Some awards he has received are Academic Allstate and All Conference. He has been a varsity player for his sophomore, junior and senior year and has lettered each of those years. He signed his letter of intent to play at Doane University on February 11. He said, “I chose this college because they have what I want academically, a nice atmosphere and campus and a team with similar values and discipline to our team here in Alliance.” 

Baker has been playing basketball since he could walk, and he began playing organized basketball in the third grade. Just this last Saturday in Brush, Colorado he scored his 1000 career points. Other awards he has received for basketball are Honorable Mention All State Omaha World Herald, Lincoln Journal Star and 2nd Team All Conference. Baker verbally committed to Concordia University in October of 2019. He said, “[Concordia] was a great fit for me. I loved the atmosphere on campus, and the facilities were amazing and the coaches were great people and I felt like I could succeed there.” Baker has played in two state tournaments his freshman and junior year and is hoping to return to Lincoln in March. 

Congratulations to all of our student athletes who will be following their dream of playing sports in college. Good luck, athletes, with this next chapter!