Same Smile Different Place

Khloe Felker, Staff Writer

Next year, Mr. Nathan Lanik is going to become the new counselor at Alliance High School. Many people know Mr. Lanik as being the mathematics teacher, teaching Algebra II, Pre-Algebra, and ACT Prep. The current counselor, Ms. Amy Dunn, is transferring her position as counselor to Gering High School. Although Mr. Lanik will be missed as a math teacher, everybody feels that he will do an exceptional job as counselor.

Mr. Lanik has been on the journey of getting his counseling degree for three years now. When asked if he would miss teaching math, he answered that he will really miss certain areas such as working with the same group of kids everyday, but that he definitely will not miss grading assignments and tests. “I may not directly be in a math classroom teaching math, but I will be teaching it in some way, shape, or form” Lanik states.

Some things that Mr. Lanik plans on changing is the involvement with scholarships and colleges for the upperclassmen. He says that he would like to get a “counselor newsletter going.” This newsletter would occur once a month with FAFSA material for parents and students to review. The newsletter will also have a senior wall to celebrate the launch of their next chapters of their lives.

When asked why he decided he would like to switch professions he replied “ I wanted to help more students than the hundred or so that come into my classroom on a daily basis.”

As the new counselor, Mr. Lanik says his door will always be open to anyone who needs help with school, or if they just need somebody to talk to. He also says one of the big changes happening is scheduling. There will be a “four-year plan” that is implemented to every student.  He says he would like to track each student over their four years here to make sure that their educational path is set.

All of the goals that Mr. Lanik has before becoming a counselor assures that he is the right fit for the position. Although he will be missed by his math students, he is impacting more lives as the new counselor. Many people can expect great things from Mr. Lanik in his new journey as the counselor.