• Graduation will be held on Sunday, May 14 at 2pm at Bulldog Stadium!

• Good luck to Alliance Track & Field at districts on May 11th!

• SENIORS!! Make sure to get your baby pictures to Mrs. Brock by the end of the month!

Influence of Music

Hayley Adams, Staff Writer

Music is something magical. It serves as one of the greatest influences in the world and helps mold us into who we are. The music you listen to can either push you to succeed in many great things, or pull you away from what you want out of life. Jess Brown, an actress said, “Music can change lives, whether you’re having a good or bad day, the power of music can change ones mood.”

Music has so many unique styles. It’s very special because there is something for almost every mood. If you’re raging mad, there’s a piece of music for that to calm you down. There’s music to pump you up and there’s music to simply take away the silence. We all have our different interests when it comes to music, and some of that impacts our personalities. Music influences our character, so we should find music that speaks volume on who we really are. The lyrics of a piece of music can benefit a person. It may help them observe the world in a new light and help them find themselves. A good piece of music will make you ponder over what type of person you would like to be, what purpose you may have in the world, and the influences you leave on the people around you.

Although music has many benefits, certain song lyrics tend to discuss negative activity, which make youth act out in negative ways. Things such as violence, drugs, and death increase your aggressive thoughts. When I personally hear these songs it makes me want to automatically shut the song off. These songs aren’t influencing your life to make anything better. The song tells a story, but it’s not a story you would want to hear. Some of a teenager’s biggest influence come from our music. If an artist is portraying drugs and alcohol, chances are they are going to listen to the song as they act on these negative behaviors.

For the most part, music is very magical. We should all find music that is capable of opening up our ideologies. The more you find who you are, the better you will be able to see past these negative messages given off in music. Being aware of what you’re allowing yourself to be exposed to will help because we can’t stop what is said in the the tracks.