Doyle Strong

Doyle+Strong

Peyton Stoike, Staff Writer

On Sunday, April 4, 2015, four-time Nebraska state high school champion Doyle Trout was involved in a major car crash. Doyle Trout suffered serious injuries near Waco, Nebraska. According to his high school’s Facebook page and the GoFundMe account, doctors amputated Trout’s left leg above the knee. Trout also broke his right femur in the collision.

York County Sheriff, Dale Radcliff, told the Grand Island Independent newspaper that the initial reports showed that Trout was speeding when he bent down to grab something and lost control of his car. The car swerved into a ditch and hit a power pole. Police say it took thirty minutes to get Trout out of the car, and the power in that area had to be shut down because of the pole being hit. After they extracted Doyle from the car, they airlifted Doyle by helicopter to Bryan West Hospital in Lincoln, Nebraska. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Doyle and his family,” Wyoming wrestling coach Mark Branch said. “Doyle is a strong young man, and he was in good spirits when we saw him on Monday. This is obviously a life-changing incident, but he is a young man who is equipped to handle this. He is still part of our family. We want Doyle and his family to know that we are here to support them any way we can. We’re thankful that he didn’t have any life-threatening injuries. Given the severity of the accident, it is amazing that he will be able to move forward and live a healthy life. “

Two months ago Trout won his fourth state title for Centennial High School. He has a scholarship to wrestle at the University of Wyoming this fall. The University of Wyoming is still going to honor Doyle’s scholarship to attend the university in the fall.