Preparing for the Next Chapter

Maycee Quick, Editor

Graduation is right around the corner, and I never realized how much I have to plan for. There is homework, scholarships and planning for all of the events that will occur at the end of the year. There are so many decisions being made by all seniors. Deciding what college to attend can be a hard decision. On top of this, seniors are overwhelmed with scholarships, homework and extra hobbies. I am so glad that I know where I am going and what I want to do. Senior year has been the busiest, but best year yet. 

I am so excited to graduate and start my next chapter. Just this last week, I had the privilege to attend the Greek Preview. I learned about what the sororities at UNL entail and I got to tour some of the houses. I hope that I can join a sorority next fall because they have so many great things to offer. The girls in sororities have good GPAs, and they are constantly volunteering and staying involved. I would love to be part of such a positive organization. 

Another big change in my life is deciding not to continue my cheerleading career in college. I know this seems like a big surprise to people, but it is not a big surprise to me. I am pursuing a challenging career so I want to focus on my academics more than anything. I have spent my last four years, or some could say my entire life, cheerleading. I am excited to try new things and be involved in other on campus organizations. College seems like a lot of work, so I would love just to focus on my academics and get a job. I look forward to the freedom I will have. 

As the time nears, reality is setting in. Soon, I am going to be a full time college student six hours away from home. Luckily for me, my brother goes to the same school. I know the first couple of months in Lincoln will be rough since I have such a strong relationship with my parents, but I know they will help me and support me throughout the journey. The idea of “adulting” and becoming independent is coming closer so I am trying to prepare as much as I can. If there’s any advice I can give to underclassmen, it is to start preparing now!