• Graduation will be held on Sunday, May 14 at 2pm at Bulldog Stadium!

• Good luck to Alliance Track & Field at districts on May 11th!

• SENIORS!! Make sure to get your baby pictures to Mrs. Brock by the end of the month!

It’s a Label

Hayley Adams, Staff Writer

Let’s face it, labeling has been around for years. It is a sad reality to know that we are easily judged by our peers. Gaining labels from people is normally because of the way we look and the people we socialize with. Our sense of style can sometimes lead people to be judged. For example, someone who may like the artist Bob Marley is more than likely to be labeled as a “stoner” because Bob Marley was a consistent marijuana smoker.

Another way we can gain a label is by the music we listen to. While most of the time our personal taste of music reflects who we are, in some cases that is not always the truth. A person may only be listening to certain types of music to please our peers in order to fit in with certain cliques. Sometimes a person’s music can totally contradict who a person really is. An example of this would be someone listening to rap music even though they prefer country. A person then can gain a label of being a bad person, while really they listen to a certain genre because their peers mock them listening to the music that they prefer. The mocking then makes a person insecure, so they never play what they like around their peers again.

Our work ethic also creates labels. The label of a good student would contain activities such as school clubs, and what you are involved in. These people are normally the over achieving students with lots of school activity. Often times, nerds would be the group that is deeply involved with their education and prepare themselves to succeed in anything.

Certain labels around our school would be the partiers, stoners, jocks, preps, nerds and the loners. Some of these people such as the partiers and stoners are most likely the type of students with an “I don’t care” attitude. These people don’t mind what anyone thinks of them. As we grow and continue our journey through High School often times people who watch us grow are very quick to judge. They fail to realize that people are more than just a label and each and everyone deserves to belong to a clique where they feel comfortable. Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family or call it party, but whatever you call it, and whoever you are, you need one.