A day for Theater

Tilie Vaughn, Staff Writer

This past Thursday, the One Act cast and crew took a bus down to Chadron State College for Theater Day. Theater Day is an opportunity for each school’s cast and crew to participate in different activities that help build skills to better future performances. Students who attended were required to sit in on two of the several workshops available.

Some of the activities that took place included makeup design, a jazz dance class, scene writing, a behind the scenes look at  play production, and more. Students were allowed to participate in any two activities that were not already reserved. In the makeup activity, students learned how to apply mermaid makeup and how to create bruises. In the jazz dance class, students learned steps and certain dance moves. For scene writing, students were able to see how a scene is written and the components needed to write the scene. The students that participated in the behind the scenes look were able to see the set, how it was created, what takes place backstage during a performance, lighting, and sound.

After the activities, students left for lunch and later returned to see the Chadron students production of “Peter and the Starcatcher.” The cast and crew had been working on the play and set since the school year began, back in August. For the production, Chadron students built their entire set and even crafted a golden frame out of discarded objects, such as golf clubs, old toys, ski poles, buttons, broken necklaces, and loads of hot glue. After the production, the cast and the crew stuck around to answer questions from the audience.

Students who attended Theater Day were able to learn new skills that help them with future performances and experience what a college performance is like.