Awaited Boys State Basketball

Photo Courtesy of Just Shoot Me Photographics

Luxie West, Staff Writer

The Alliance High School varsity basketball team has finally got what they have been waiting for; a trip to state basketball to compete in the tournament, and to show the state what they are capable of.

Monday, February 27, 2016, was a very heartbreaking night for the basketball boys as they took a last minute loss of 98-93 to the Gering Bulldogs. The Gering Bulldogs almost beat the state record for the amount of threes made in one game, with 18 threes. The game was easily one of the fastest paced games played in the district. Alliance led their way throughout the first quarter but fell behind during the rest of the game. However, they put up a fight and continued to give all of their effort during the district semifinal.

Students and teachers noticed a mood change throughout the halls and in the classrooms the following day after the game. Some of the boys were not as rowdy as usual in class, and they simply were not being themselves. However, there was a lot of hope for what could happen that night. Aurora, Scottsbluff, and Gretna all played in a district final game, and if two out of the three won, Alliance was to get a wildcard to the state tournament. Later Tuesday night, the state tournament bracket was released, and sure enough, Alliance got the chance to participate. The team had received a wildcard and will be traveling to Lincoln, Nebraska to take part in the state tournament. Wednesday, March 1, was a new day. The boys were all very excited and were eager to show the state that they deserved to play after 11 years of not being able to.

“It has always been a lifelong dream of mine to play in the state tournament and now we got the chance to go. I really just want to thank my teammates, coaches, and all of the people that helped me achieve this goal. It is really a great feeling knowing that this lifelong goal has finally come true,” senior Austin Luger stated.

Many students, parents, and residents of Alliance will be traveling to Lincoln to watch the boys basketball team play. Teachers are scrambling to find a substitute teacher so they can make a trip down to watch. The Alliance High School pep band and the cheerleaders will be traveling to Lincoln to help support the boys during their games, which will make the atmosphere of playing a bit more comfortable, just like that of a home game.

I hope as many people can come to watch us play. We love playing in front of our home crowd, so the more the better. Also with the pep band, that will be a nice bonus to make us feel more at home. It is going to be great,” senior Brendan Brehmer stated.

The Alliance boy’s basketball team will play the number five seed, Platteview, on Thursday, March 9, at the Pinnacle Bank Arena, tipping off at 9 o’clock a.m. The rest of the games are to be determined.

Good luck to the AHS basketball boys! Go get what you deserve!